Friday, January 25, 2013

Cut Out Bin Conscious ch.2






HOWARD SHORE, ORNETTE COLEMAN, THE LONDON PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA – Naked Lunch: Music from the Original Soundtrack

“I can think of at least 2 things wrong with that title” – Nelson Muntz.

As much as I adore both William Burroughs and David Cronenberg, I am beyond exhausted with seeing anything remotely strange being compared to their work. All that does is reduce someone unique to being a clone, or put half-ass try-nots in the same league as masters. Editorial over. Naked Lunch is one of the first weird movies I remember seeing. That and Barton Fink might be the only films that get away with the whole “Writers Writing about Writing” thing. I foolishly attempted that in creative workshops and was frequently chewed out about it, so in response I wrote about necrophilia and savage beatings. That’s where I found “my voicthe” I suppose. Scuse me… sthupose. The book is still my favorite work from Burroughs, even if it’s the most obvious choice. Cities of the Red Night is up there, as is Exterminator. Hell pretty much all of it is crucial. Videodrome is still my favorite Cronenberg. Also love Rabid, Dead Ringers, Crash, the Brood. As for recently; I enjoyed Cosmopolis and A Dangerous Method. But the Naked Lunch film is up there, too. Gotta love a movie where Robocop and the dude from Jaws talk about shooting up insect grindings. Also typewriters that turn into roaches with talking assholes for abdomens. Also “Sexual Ambulance”. Anyways, the soundtrack is pretty cool. I love the blend of generic film score with whispery jazz. Does need to be a touch weirder, but It works. Hate to be “that guy”, but someone like John Zorn or JG Thirlwell probably should’ve done the music for this. Like do Howard Shore, Danny Elfman, Christopher Young, Elliot Goldenthal, Hans Zimmer etc. have to do EVERY soundtrack out there? those guys are great and all, but what was the last memorable soundtrack Danny Elfman did… Batman Returns 21 years ago? So Peter Weller turned down Robocop 3 to do Naked Lunch. Think Criterion will ever do a release of Robocop 3? They did a release of Robocop at one point. The 20th anniversary edition from MGM is actually better, though. Naked Lunch was the first Criterion DVD I ever owned. This is starting to sound like the Chris Farley Show. YOU REMEMBER.. WHEN UH… THAT GUYY… TAUGHT HIS ASSHOLE TO TALK…. YOU… YOU REMEMBER THAT?

Favorite Tracks: “Bugpowder”, “the Black Meat”, “Interzone Suite”, “Writeman”



BURNT BY THE SUN / LUDDITE CLONE – Split Release

Really psyched to have found this. BBTS only had 2 good releases; this and the EP whose name I can’t remember. And Luddite Clone is one of my favorite short-lived bands ever. that EP on Relapse fucking rules. I remember when they came out and they were unfairly chastised for being a DEP copy (which they weren’t). they sound more like Human Remains than DEP, even BBTS, which has people who were actually in Human Remains, doesn’t sound like Human Remains. Bummer. Isn’t the singer from BBTS a right wing blogger now or something? Whatevs. He was always the poorman’s Sean Ingram anyway, from vocal delivery to lyrics. Really wish Luddite Clone stuck around. Some people just have all the luck. They formed some bands after that… I know Kiss the Cynic was immediately after LC disbanded. Don’t know if they ever released anything. Wasn’t too into them.

Favorite Tracks: BBTS side: “Blowjob City” , “There Are Pictures of Me on the Internet”,
                           Luddite Clone side: “Bohemiath”, “Acid Cop

No comments:

Post a Comment