Saturday, January 26, 2013

Cut Out Bin Conscious ch. 3






THOUGHT INDUSTRY – Mods Carve the Pig: Assassins, Toads, and God’s Flesh

The term “ahead of its time” was conceived with this record in mind. Everyone from DEP to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum pretty much owes their existence to the first 2 Thought Industry records. This is the 2nd one and holy shit is it all over the place in the most deliberate of ways. So fucking evil and demented… like a more metal Disco Volante, but this predates that by about 2 years. There’s a great book called Mean Deviation (Jeff Wagner, 2011) that covers the history of Progressive Metal. I mentioned this briefly in the God Machine write-up in ch. 1, but it’s a shame that Progressive Metal equates to Dream Theater/Fates Warning clones for so many people, and that they miss out on really cool, interesting bands like Thought Industry, Disharmonic Orchestra, Maudlin of the Well, Hellwitch, and so many others. Mind Over Four was kinda dopey, though… and Thought Industry did cock-out after this album. I guess I understand… they didn’t really take off, and “alternative” music became the rage (against the machine durhurhur). “Himmler cop sips raisin rum” – from “Smirk the Godlbender”. Love the lyrics on these first two TI albums. It’s like what would happen if Captain Beefheart deconstructed a pile of Bay Area Thrash albums. “Boil” has what those pre-Aenima Tool albums strived for. And no, I’m not gonna be one of those jerk-offs who pretends he’s not a Tool fan. I spent age 16-20 being one of those clithoods, and it was a miserable time indeed. A Perfect Circle and Puscifer can fuck off, if only because they distract from more Tool albums. I think what set TI back was not having the foresight to stay the course (so to speak) and keep getting weirder and heavier with each release. But I guess everyone can’t be Naked City…. Especially every band that tries to be Naked City.

Favorite Tracks: “Daterape Cookbook”, “Boil”, “Republicans in Love”, “To Build a Better Bulldozer”




BAUHAUS – Burning From the Inside

Yeah yeah point and laugh at the goth kid. Your party violence 7” is sooo much cooler than me. *mouthfart*. When you get past the heroin-chic emotionally stunted cat ladyisms of the fan base, you find that most of the early goth stuff (Bauhaus, Christian Death, Sex Gang Children, the Cure on their Pornography album) is some the most transgressively literary, aesthetically deranged music ever conceived. Before vampiric romance and self-conscious insouciance took over the genre, albums like In the Flat Field and Only Theatre of Pain wallowed in murderous surrealism, rib-caving self hatred, and a claustrophobic misanthropy that would put almost any modern “doom” band to shame. Bauhaus’ In the Flat Field is one of my favorite albums ever. It was a downhill slide after that; Mask and The Sky’s Gone Out are pretty weak in comparison, but Burning feels more like a direct follow-up to Flat Field. Bouncy, but weird and scary too. Great bass lines.  Peter Murphy’s solo stuff is mostly bunk. It’s a shame he decided to take the easy way out and ape Bowie for the rest of his career. Think I’ll take this time to say that I fucking hate Dead Can Dance. Sorry, but once you realize that the singer dude is just imitating Sinatra’s “Very Good Year” on every damn song, you sort of lose any sense of art or drama DCD is trying to convey. And when Lisa Gerad (sp?) dies, she’ll probably going to be found buried under a bunch of books about crystals, her toes sticking out of the paper mountain like the Wicked Witch of the East, only gnawed to viscera by hungry cats. Back to the album. I love how “Slice of Life” sounds like Barret-era Pink Floyd, only it’s about killing people…. I think.  Maybe I’m attributing it to Dexter’s boat. Why do I keep watching that show? why do I keep watching Showtime? Bauhaus really found a pretty good balance of the loathsome bizarreness of Flat Field with the infectious diversity of Sky’s Gone Out and Mask on Burning. Communion should cover the title track. Don’t think anyone but me would be on board for that.

Favorite Tracks – “Antonin Artaud” “Slice of Life”, “Kingdom’s Coming”, “Burning
                               From the Inside”       

No comments:

Post a Comment