THE LEGENDARY PINK DOTS – Your Children Placate You From Premature Graves
LPD is one of those bands I’ve always been intimidated by,
mostly due to the sheer volume of their work, and the absurd pretensions of
anyone I’ve ever encountered who was more well versed in their discography than
I. “ohh… you’ve only heard thaaaat
album…. Pffff… it’s okaaaay I guess”.
The band is pretty fucking boss, but seriously, they have like 85 albums. I’m
supposed to know the ins and outs of all of them? I’ll just snag what pops up in used bins.
Hasn’t failed me yet. I only have Any Day
Now and the Golden Age. And now I
have this one. This is my favorite of the 3 I have. 3 out of 85 ain’t bad,
right? I’m an experimental music poser… sorry. Trying to catch up as best I can
(I’ll be reviewing a Henry Cow CD in a later chapter… a group I only know by
NAME. *gasps and faints into a crate of Sun City Girls tapes* **gasps and
faints into a boxfort of someone much more obscure than Sun City Girls
reel-to-reels**). Also later will be Univers Zero’s Uzed. I started getting into proggy bands my junior/senior years of
college, but lost track/interest because again, the volume of each artists work
was so overwhelming, and it’s not like I got a whole lot of money and space to
spare… and don’t tell me “well justh download it then”. I don’t like having
entire libraries of music on my computer, detest I-Pods/MP3 players, and if I
burn them to CDRs that’s just more stuff taking up space. I’m not much of a
completist I guess… I’d rather just have the best of a few choice groups rather
than every piece of music from every band in a given genre.
Favorite tracks: “No Matter What You Do”, “Stigmata (part 4)”,
“the Made Man’s Manifesto”, “a Silver Thread”
BRUTAL TRUTH – Goodbye,
Cruel World!
…well almost. Missed out on this when it was first released
because I have sort of a problem with live metal albums. I broke the rule for
Rorschach, because I’m a fanboy for Rorschach and at the time all they had
readily available was the Autopsy cd.
But I’m also a fanboy for Brutal Truth, so I’m glad I found this. I love
everything this band has ever done. I think the first thing I ever got was Kill Trend Suicide @ Utopia. Bought the
t-shirt for that album on the same day. Also on that day I picked up Anal
Cunt’s Morbid Florist and Soilent
Green’s String of Lies. Relapse
Records and Utopia in Hicksville in the late 90s was
quite a pairing for my teenaged brain. While pre-juggalos in tent-pants were
trying to convince me of the “extreme heaviness” of Lords of Acid and Coal
Chamber, I was waist deep in Neurosis and Blood Duster. Probably the only time
in my life I’ve truly felt better than anyone. They think they’re changed
because they washed out the hair dye and found pants shaped for legs, but they
were boring assholes then, and they’re boring assholes now…. Just swap out
Marilyn Manson for Sean Hannity. Alright alright… enough of that. Again as a
rule, I usually hate live albums from metal bands… but this one fucking
destroys. Everything is loud and clear, but doesn’t sound like a studio album
with crowd noise piped in as most live albums. I know a lot of people hate on
Hoak’s drumming, but I always loved what he brought to the band;
unpredictability. Yeah he doesn’t “hit hard”, but he has a great feel for the
chaos of the music, and plays to that perfectly. When Need to Control hit, BT when from being a Napalm Death sound alike
to the grindcore version of a Touch-and-Go Records fuck-you rock band, which is
so much more interesting to me than yet another alliteration of Scum or Horrified. Great taste in cover songs too (Germs, SOB,YDI,
Boredoms). Always loved Kevin Sharp’s vocals, too. One of those guys who really
made me want to be a vocalist. People give them crap about their live
abilities, too… but even when they aren’t “on” I still enjoy them because…
well… it’s them. so few bands have that kind of
unpredictability anymore in the live or recorded setting, not just where it
sounds like it’s gonna fall apart at any minute, but you know the possibility
is there because you’ve experienced it falling apart before. That kind of
stress makes for a deadlier experience all around ie perfect for grindcore. I’m
very happy to have BT back. They continue to inspire. I’m gonna stop writing
now, cause this is a double album and if I write for the entirety of the
duration I’ll have a fucking term paper here.
Favorite tracks: disc 1: “Choice of a New Generation”,
“Jemenez Cricket”, “Kill Trend Suicide”, “Zodiac (Melvins)”
Disc 2: “Fucktoy”, “Boredoms Cover #2”, “Zombie”, “Black Door Mine”


No comments:
Post a Comment