Sunday, February 3, 2013

Cut Out Bin Conscious ch. 8

ch.1






AKITSA – Sang Nordique

This was from when Hospital Productions was on their Black Metal kick in the late 00s. i dig a lot of that stuff (Diapsiquir’s Pacta Daemoniarium / Crasse is a particular favorite. so vicious and demented). I love the so-raw-it’s-almost-punk black metal groups (Bone Awl, Sexdrome). I’m always attracted to deconstructionists of particular art forms, but I think it’s because these bands remind me of what attracted me to black metal in the first place while not being revivalists about it. Since these dudes are from Quebec, I guess they could qualify as French Black Metal (lyrics are in French). Ho ho. Holy shit @ The screams at the end of “Frontiere”. There’s a little of a “black n’ roll” vibe to this material, but it’s so fuzzed out and lo-fi that it retains “credibility”, whatever that means anymore. The best Black Metal is music for well-read barbarians (or genocidal librarians?). stop trying to “intellectualize” what should be instinctual… a aural manifestation of unchecked ID. Not that there aren’t good progressive black metal bands, but most of them are bland kettleheads. I like the trade-offs that have been happening between the noise and black metal scenes. A lot of interesting stuff emerging from both sides of the crossover. It’s just what each genre needed.

Favorite tracks – “Frontiere”, “Sang Nordique”, “Au Combat”, “La Nature De Mon Pays”



JAWBREAKER – Dear You

This was an album I’ve been meaning to check out, but always forgot to check out. Better late than never. Definitely one of those “album everyone should have” albums. Says so many things better than I ever could. I haven’t been this jealous of an album since the first time I heard Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers. They both have the exact sort of lyrics I aspire to write; honest without being confessional… introspective without being affected… poetic without being pretentious. Hopefully I’m almost there. too bad I can’t even hope to dream of coming up with the hooks and melodies that would get people to listen to what I’m saying, or even give what I write the time of day. But I’m starting to depress myself here. This is a 2003 reissue. In another time, this is the sort of album I would have playing if I was on a first date with a girl. But now? I have no clue what I could have playing. Nothing impresses or moves anyone anymore. I don’t know if it’s a pose or genuine…. Rehearsed or inherent…. Reaction or pre-emptive strike. I’ve quit OK Cupid like 5 times in the last 4 years. since we broke up, my ex has been with more women than I have, which makes me want to masturbate with a hand around my throat. “if you could hear the dreams I have my dear, they would give you nightmares for a week” – from “Fireman”. The bass line in “Accident Prone” is making it okay right now. Sorry this is stho emo right now. I used to be like this all the time… hypersensitive whiny sad guy bearing his sthoul within five seconds of the first “I’m not sure”… before I just embraced what I imagined women’s views of me might be and turned that image into an absurdly perverse torture comedy blow-up of itself.  They don’t want that either, but at least it feels right for me…. or at least more accurate. I’m trying to be less informed by others viewpoints when it comes to who I am, but I don’t always succeed. Can’t help but feel harshly judged at almost all times. I know they forgot about me before they hit the “you” in “I don’t see you that way”, so I should just stop letting it effect me in such a socially crippling manner. i think I have… but maybe I’m just used to it. God damn this is a perfect album. It’s the kind of record everyone who aspires to be “the voice of a generation” writes in their head, but when they pick up the guitar all that comes out is a Staind album, because they try too fucking hard to be liked, when what you need to stop doing is being “alienated” and start being “alienating”. Be an asshole. Be a wounded animal. Make your subject hate you. Don’t worry about coming off as “misogynistic”, cause the women you’ve never met are keen enough to know you’re not talking about them, and typically the ones who are labeling you as such are humorless “liberal” males who play the “masculine feminist” card in an attempt to get laid ( as a recovering MxFx, trust me when I say this). most of all, speak for no one. Sorry this post was so fucking drippy. I’ll try to make the next few more fun.

Favorite tracks: “I Love You So Much It’s Killing Us Both”, “Fireman”, “Sluttering (May 4th)”, “ Shirt” 

No comments:

Post a Comment