ch. 2
ch.3
SMASHING PUMPKINS – Zero
This is basically disc 3 of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, with “Zero” thrown on it
for some reason. The extra tracks are pretty cool. Lately I’ve been loving this
era of the band. it’s not as “iconic” as Siamese
Dream, but Corgan said that Dream was
the aspiration of the band, where as Mellon
Collie was the actuality of the band. this CD has some of their darkest,
heaviest (well for them) material. Self loathing bitterness in a power-pop
package. This is one of the fist bands I remember really being into, but i lost
interest because people who made my life miserable listened to them all the
time, talked about them all the time, and were real assholes about it. They’re
out of my life now, so I can enjoy the tunes again. The new Joy Formidable
album kinda blows. I really loved Big
Roar, but so far everything I’ve heard from the follow-up is very
underwhelming. Her voice is still great, and they energy is there… but the
songs aren’t. I’m also over Florence
and the Machine. She’s undeniably talented, but there’s way too much of the
“WUHAAAAAAA OH AAAAAAAAHHHHH OOOOOOHHHHHHHHH OOHHH AHH OOHHHHHHHHHHHH” in
almost every song. A little restraint would be nice.
Favorite tracks: “God”, “Mouths of Babes”, “Marquis in
Spades”, Pennies”
AGORAPHOBIC NOSEBLEED – Honky
Reduction
Relapse in the late 90s = foreverection. I never get tired
of early ANb. I’m an asshole for never having a hard copy of this. this and Bestial Machinery are such fucking cool
ass albums. the murderously sardonic attitude coupled with the tones and
textures of classic Earache releases is too awesome. Also love how their drum
machine sounded more like real drums being sped up rather than a literal
machine. So few bands really have the attitude ANb has in the lyrics and such.
There are plenty of gore bands and porn bands and insult comedy bands, but ANb
has a voice that’s pretty unique among the innumerable AxCx/Mentors wannabes
they unfairly get lumped in with. I’m also giddy because Jay Randall has the
Communion / Winters in Osaka split
up on his Grindcore Karaoke page. Seems like it’s the “in” thing to hate on GK…
or maybe it isn’t and I just need to get off the goddamn internet.
Favorite tracks: “the Withering of Skin”, “the House of
Feasting”, “Vexed”, “Lives Ruined through Sex”, “Her Despair Reeks of Alcohol”,
“Pagan Territories”, Bones in One Bag (Organs in Another)”,

.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment