Friday, February 8, 2013

Cut Out Bin Conscious ch. 10

ch.1
ch. 2
ch.3


MILHOUSE – Modern Problems, Old Fashioned Solutions, & Classic Mistakes

I love this sort of psychotically caustic 90s hardcore…. Where the guitars sound like someone strumming rusty razors and the vocals sound like someone whose been set on fire. Great drum sound, too. Punchy and warm. Artie’s doing the vocals for the Sheltering Sky, which has Eddie Ortiz from Cattlepress. It’s like an awesome 90s metal/hardcore supergroup. I can really see a lot of this in the new Buckshot Facelift release, only fused with a subterranean death metal edge. The new My Bloody Valentine album kinda sucks, huh? I’ll stick with Glider and Loveless. Damn these drums are something else… good basslines, too. Have Milhouse done the reunion thing, yet? A lot of LI hardcore bands from the 90s seem to have reactivated. None of the ones I dig. Well Mind Over Matter did one or two shows… they were pretty sweet. But I’d totally go for a Sons of Abraham reunion or Milhouse or Neglect. Not Glassjaw. Fuck those guys… overproduced version of Sons of Abraham and Milhouse, only with whinier vocals and transparent “sensitive” lyrics.

Favorite tracks: “Piss Artist”, “the True Meaning of Christmas”, “Detox”, “Sacramento”.





BRIGHTER DEATH NOW – Kamikaze Kabaret

Album title courtesy of Krusty the Klown. But seriously, I love this album. Had a burn of it forever. one of the first Industrial Death bands I ever got into (thanks to the Gummo soundtrack). Massive influence on the first Tunnel Nun release. You know, as much as I love this sort of monolithic, pulsating form of PE, I fear it’s starting to become a bit stale. I mean… I still dig the style very much, but too many bands are veering into almost doom metal or ambient drone territory, with meandering album-length songs that are all valley and no peaks. Maybe I’m just not looking hard enough. The next TN songs are gonna hopefully be more along the lines of Bloodyminded’s seminal Trophy record; half-minute blasts of piercing noise and intimidating shouts. I also want the lyrics to have some more dimensions. They’ll still be steeped in sexual violence / violent sexuality, but I wanna try and look at it from a more alien perspective, not just a feeble attempt at being Peter Sotos. A more perplexing, maybe “funnier” or drier sensibility? I don’t know. I have a bunch of short songs written lyrically that are like one-two lines long. But we’ll see. I don’t want to over think the project, but I want to at least attempt to do something different, not just another Nicole 12/BDN worship album. As I listen to this album (and the early Nicole 12 stuff), I really see how much I stole from it for New Talent Always Welcome. I’m actually quite embarrassed by it. I guess ripping off others is unavoidable on your first time out.


Favorite Tracks: “Crimescene Nostalgia”, “Destroy”, “Washing Day”, “While You Sleep”

No comments:

Post a Comment