ch. 2
ch.3
THE BLACK HEART PROCESSION – The Spell
I love this band more than I actually love this band.
Beautiful music for manic depressive stalkers. Every now and then I try to
write a BHP style song, but eventually it degenerates into power electronic
misanthropy and schitzorealism. I think I made that word up. I used to be
really into Death Cab for Cutie. Then I discovered BHP and realized that they
were the band I wanted DCFC to be. That and there was only like 1 DCFC song I
could stand to listen to anymore (“Tiny Vessels”). There’s this other band called
the Paper Chase that’s a bit in this ballpark, but the vocals can get a little
grating after a while, and the singer dude has a tendency to regurgitate the
same metaphors. I reactivated my BOKCuspid brofile for like the 5th
time. It’s just sad at this point… being a 30 old male trying to impress 22
year old girls with my weird tastes in everything in a time when having any
kind of taste or knowledge in anything beyond obvious trends in politics and
pop culture means you’re a weirdo with no real friends. This song “the Letter”…
one of the greatest songs of the last decade. One of those songs you discover
at the perfect time (which is ironically the imperfect time. *eeyore*). Great
use of the violin. As long as Michael Gira insists on booking apocalyptic folk
artists and crypto-homo indie groups to open for Swans, why not get BHP on the
bill?
Favorite tracks: “Tangled”, “the Letter”, “the Waiter #5”,
“Places”
KHANATE – Clean Hands
Go Foul
I can already tell this will be the weakest chapter of this
series. Maybe I’m burned out. Haven’t bought much since that boom last month.
Just been lazy and depressed… par for the course this time of year. Might as
well close it out with the pained shrieking that is Khanate. I’ve sort of
rediscovered this band as of late. I picked up the s/t when It was first
released cause it was ex-Burning Witch, but sort of lost interest when O’Malley
seemed to be all over the place with Sunn0))) and other projects. But to me,
Alan Dubin is what makes Khanate interesting. in college when I would attempt
to write, I used to listen to “Skin Coat” on repeat and just let stuff flow
out. His current band Gnaw is really awesome. They only have one album out, but
I think they’ve got a new one coming out this year. Anyway I lost interest in Khanate
after the first record because it seemed like they were turning into Sunn0)))
with vocals, but then I realized I really really like the vocals (and the
lyrics… total creepy goodness), so I stopped being a dingus and got back on the
trolley. The Communion just wrote our first all-slow super long song. I think
it clocks in at about 13 minutes. It’s called “Graphorrea”. Definition
of “graphorrea”; 1. writing in excessive amounts, sometimes
incoherently. 2. extreme wordiness in writing. Sounds
pretty apt. the lyrics themselves are about being ripped in half by a giant
turd from the inside out. It started out as a metaphor for bouts writer’s block
occurring when you have something that really needs to get out, to the point
that it destroys you from the inside… but as I was writing it the lyrics became
more literal. I’m nervous that it’s a little too cartoonish, but the words are
sufficiently disgusting enough to keep it from being considered slapstick. This
song has been a long time coming for us. Lee used to talk about writing a
half-hour doom track dating as far back as 2007. I even had lyrics for it. The
song was to be called “Larval Stage Rapist”. It never materialized, but it’s
something we always wanted to try, if only once. We’re all really big into
super-slow doom and sludge groups like Fistula, Coffinworm, Oak, Sea of Bones, Batillus,
Unearthly Trance, and industrial dirge metal like Godflesh, Skin Chamber, etc.
my goal has always been to be a grindcore band with doom/sludge metal
sound/production and noise/power electronic themes and attitudes in the song
titles/lyrics/artwork. Who am I talking to? I love the guitars on “Wings from
Spine”. I love the everything on “Wings from Spine”. “In That Corner” is
fucking madness too.
Favorite Tracks: “Wings from Spine”, “In That Corner”


No comments:
Post a Comment