ch. 2
ch.3
EINSTURZENDE NEUBAUTEN – Strategies
against Architecture II
I’ve listened to this band for years and I still forget how
to pronounce “Einsturzende’. I heard Sasha Grey say it in an interview, but
when I came in my pants the part of my brain that retains complex and/or
foreign pronunciations must have dribbled out as well. It’s her birthday today.
I know there’s been somewhat of a backlash (as there usually is these days
whenever someone or something has been semi-popular for more than 10 minutes),
but I’ll always be a fanboy. But let’s not get too bogged down in porn discussions.
Get in contact with me personally if you wanna trade favorites like trading
cards and dinosaur toys. This is a two-disc collection. It’s sort of a blend
between the junkyard clanging and burning oil howling of the early Neubauten
and the more heavy industrial rhythms of the later stuff. I think I first heard
about them when I read Get in the Van.
I first heard of Diamanda Galas in that book as well. Been a while since I
heard anything from her. Used to listen to her all the time. It’s super-fucking
windy out. Sounds like trains rushing past my window. Always on my day off.
Watched Joe D’Amato’s Anthropophagus last
night. There must be something wrong with me, cause I wasn’t nearly as
mortified by it as some others. I really liked it. It had that “is this a
dream?” vibe that makes Italian horror films from the late 70s – the early 90s
so rich and wonderful. The villain was very interesting; a crusty cannibal
castaway. Like D’Amato’s other classic Buio
Omega, the violence was more upsetting and messy than in other Italian
films, where the blood is very rock-operatic. Buio Omega and Anthropophagus
have more of a desolate vibe about them… more of a sadness, and I like that
a lot. This track “Seele Brenn” is sinister-incarnate. This might be the
darkest stuff I’ve heard from Neubauten. Some really incredible sounds on this
one. Think it’s my favorite. I also love those oversized CD cases they use to
make for double disc sets. Don’t know why… just an aesthetic thing I guess.
Wrote a song at work yesterday called “Ball Gag Eye Patch”. I seriously have to
either stop writing so many lyrics or start like 3 more music projects to have
a place for them. There’s way too much. May do another round of re-writes soon.
Who cares though, right? I’m sort of glad to know that I’m not the only one who
doesn’t get responses from BokayLupus. Hey I just remembered Lauren Hill was in
Sister Act 2. those kids were bad
news, man. They listened to rap music and wore lipstick like trollops.
TROLLOPS. But don’t worry, these wacky nuns will show them how to be. I used to
think the younger nun was kinda hot in those movies. even though it wasn’t her
actually singing, she’s sort of the prototype for tiny white girls who sing
like fat black ladies (Duffy, Amy Winehouse, Christina Aguilera [ok Spanish but
you get it], a lot of others). Adele has broken the mold of tiny white girls
who sing like fat black ladies by being a fat white girl who sings like a
fatter black lady. I feel like we’re covering a lot of ground here. That’s
good. And here comes disc 2. I’m gonna go make some lunch. Okay I’m back. Lean
Cuisine flatbread sandwich and a coffee. I had a hankering for a toasted bagel
with cream cheese after watching last night’s Workaholics. The goth girl that was on the show last night… yeah
I’m pretty sure we’re married now. If she reads this I hope I’m dead. Need a
break for now.
Favorite Tracks: disc 1: “Z.N.S.”, “Intermezzo / Yu-Gung”,
“Seele Brenn” “Armenia”
Disc 2:
“Armenia II”, “Ich Bin’s”, “Wardrobe”, “Has der Luge”
LARD – the Last
Temptation of Reid
This makes me wanna run around a Tower Records in 1995 chugging
Jolt Cola while scenes from a Greg Araki film flip in my head like flashcards.
Naked Rose McGowan flashcards. It’s hard for me not to love this album. You
can’t go wrong with Jello Biafra’s twisted satirical genius and Ministry at
their thrashy best. It doesn’t even sound that dated. Least I don’t think so.
Last good thing Al Jourgenson ever did. At least Biafra
did a couple of cool records with the Melvins. I’m gonna pretend “Forkboy” is a
tribute to Abdullah the Butcher. The Communion should cover this entire album
like Six Feet Under did with “Back in Black”. It would hands down be the most
useless thing anyone has ever created. Since the 90s are making a “comeback”,
maybe Lard will reactivate. You know how I know the 90s are back in style? The increase
of heroin related deaths in Suffolk County.
HA-CHACHACHACHACHA. I always seem to forget that Biafra
is one of my favorite songwriters. I remember him describing his intent as far
as lyrics go; he wanted to take the horrors of an Alice Cooper album and make
them about “real world” monsters. Not that Alice
didn’t occasionally dabble in reality (see “Dead Babies” and “Only Women
Bleed”), but Biafra took it even farther. If Communion
won’t cover the whole album, we should at least do “Drug Raid at 4 AM”.
Favorite Tracks: “Forkboy”, “Mate Spawn & Die”, “Drug
Raid at 4 AM”, “Sylvestre Matuschka”,
and the rest.


No comments:
Post a Comment