ch. 2
ch.3
EXIT 13 - … Just a Few
More Hits
I never really saw the big deal with this group. i guess Dan
Lilker? But I don’t wanna jump on the “I hate Lilker” bandwagon (hi, Brian).
I’m still an unashamed Brutal Truth fan, and I remember Hemlock being ok… but I
haven’t heard them in a long time. I like the riffs on “Legalize Hemp Now”.
They sort of sound like early Today is the Day. These vocals are atrocious. I
guess the idea was to make it sound like someone muttering into a soupbowl
filled with bong water. As a general rule, I think weed “culture” is fucking
stupid, and i hope pot gets legalized just so these one-track minded tuckfards
will no longer be able to think of themselves as transgressive outlaws. Brutal
Truth uses pot images and references, but at least they talk about other stuff,
too. I got Ethos Musik like a million
years ago at the behest of internet grind people who swore its awesomness, but
it never really connected with me. they’re almost like Jam-Grind or something…
like it’s not thought out. I guess that’s why some people dig them, cause it’s
pretty easy. Also again… the “DURHURHUR POT DURHURHUR JOINTS” thing. is it just
me, or is most pot “humor” merely just people saying “Weed!” followed by the
kind of giggling that makes you want to press a crowbar into the soft spot of a
newborn’s head?
Favorite tracks: “A Man and His Lawnmower”, “Oral Fixation”,
“A Constant Persistence of Annoyance”, “Snakes and Alligators”
PITCH SHIFTER – Industrial
Holy fucking shit I love early Pitch Shifter. One of my
favorite sub-sub genres of metal is the post-Godflesh/pre-Fear Factory
industrial sludge metal. Skin Chamber, Spine Wrench, Optimum Wound Profile,
Candiru, motherfucking Dead World. So nightmarishly punishing. Even FF on their
demos, Concrete, and Soul of a New Machine still kinda kick
my ass. I used to love all of Fear Factory’s stuff. When I first got into metal
it was the mind-late 90s when all the Bounce Metal stuff was king shit of
big-pants mountain. FF (starting on Demanufacture,
continuing on Obsolete, and
diarrhea-pantsing on Digimortal) ,
Machine Head, 90s Sepultura, Biohazard. I remember being really psyched about
Pissing Razors and Skinlab around ’99, but those bands (along with Lungbrush
and others) really signified the downfall of that genre. They were too stupid
for me, and at that time I was still putting together fantasy Ozzfest line-ups.
I remember at that time they weren’t even reffered to as metal bands.
Roadrunner bios always called these groups “Aggro-Rock” or “Extreme
Alternative”. Everyone I went to school with at the time called anything
heavier than Green Day “hardcore”. Slayer? Hardcore. Snot? Hardcore. Soulfly?
Hardcore. Coal Chamber? Hardcore. Sevendust? Hardcore. I met one kid who
listened to all the same metal bands that I did, but he called himself a
“hardcore head”. He actually said “I’m a Hardcore Head!”. I have never heard
anyone before or since refer to themselves in such a way. So in short “Face it,
You’re a Metal Band” by AxCx played in my head a lot. Anyway, back to
Industrial Metal. I don’t know what it is about this style that still resonates
with me. I guess it’s the mix of crushing heaviness with the bleak
atmosphere/subject matter. It’s metal without all the cartoony bullshit and
industrial without the performance art delusions. I even like the revival bands
that have popped up in the last few years. Circle of Animals, Author &
Punisher, Sewer Goddess, our niggas in Bloodkitt. It’s fucking sad how far off
Pitch Shifter fell in the late 90s. I think my first exposure to them was on
MTV’s Spring Break 99 (POSER ALERT). They played that ass-ass song “Genius” on
some weak “rock showcase” with Limp Bizkit before they got super big. Then when
I started digging into Earache’s back catalog, I saw their name. I think for a
while I thought that the octo-choads from Spring Break were some shitty new
band who stole the name from this bad-ass nightmare band. oh yeah, someone
needs to put the Skin Chamber records on vinyl.
Favorite Tracks: “Brutal Cancroid”, “Gravid Rage”, “Skin
Grip”, “Inflammator”


No comments:
Post a Comment