Thursday, April 4, 2013

Cut Out Bin Conscious ch. 17

ch.1
ch. 2
ch.3
ch. 4 

ch.12 





MARY BEATS JANE – s/t

This is Pete Dolving’s (the Haunted vocalist) first band. the opening riff of “Neighborhood Psycho” alone is better than anything the Haunted ever did. Are the Haunted even around anymore? This is an interesting release, cause it was on Geffen Records in 1994, but it sounds and feels more like an 80s metal record. A lot of Exodus, early Anthrax, Vio-Lence etc. so you know… it kinda rules. The pre-chorus of “This Life” is a bit on the Alice in Chains Dirt side of things… so maybe it’s somewhere between 80s thrash and post glam/pre grunge early 90s arena metal. The first Haunted album was ok. I don’t have a copy of it anymore. I also had a copy of the Haunted Made Me Do It, but all I have left from that is a bumper sticker on one of my cabinets. I remember trying to like it, but that singer they got after Dolving had no personality or presence. I always did like Dolving’s vocals. There’s actually quite a bit of AiC on this, but it’s done the right way. Holy shit what’s with the flute on “Blood and Oil”? got my copy of the Church Whip LP in the mail today. Early contender for my favorite release of the year. Watched this dumb movie called Sushi Girl last night. Been a while since I saw a Tarantino rip-off this blatant and utterly clueless. If the Boondocks Saints was a piss poor aping of piss poor Tarantino apings (Things to do in Denver When You’re Dead, Truth or Consequences NM, 2 Days in the Valley), than Sushi Girl is a piss poor aping of a piss poor aping of piss poor apings. Annoying phony tough asshole characters that have no chemistry or personality. And the guy that was supposed to be the “loose cannon”… oh my god I can’t remember hating something in a movie as much as this goofball. He thinks he’s a biker, but really he’s just a Juggalo with some Sons of Anarchy gear. At least the titular girl was super pretty and looked amazing naked and covered in raw fish.

Favorite Tracks: “Old”, “Grind”, “Wasted”, “Gunshot”


V/A – the Beavis and Butt-Head Experience

Pretty sure my brother had this when it came out in 93. pretty sure everyone my age had this when it came out. I remember watching the premiere of the stupid ass Cher duet video. It’s pretty mental how fast B&B took over. This crude cartoon about mongoloid 15 year olds torturing animals and watching Grim Reaper videos really took the country by storm. We had most of the merch; comics, trading cards, key chains, and I don’t think we ever missed a Moronathon. There are actually some really cool tracks on this release, including one of my favorite Nirvana songs. Although how can you do a B&B comp and not have GWAR on it? “Your butt sucks.” The worst thing about the popularity of the show was every stupid fucking shithead I knew doing awful impressions, no matter if the situation called for it. I think the only thing more annoying was Jim Carrey impressions. I love that Mike Judge casually mocked this cumsacks via Dooley on King of the Hill. Remember when Anthrax was on Married… With Children? Remember the Neurosis shirt on Home Improvement? ISN’T SO COOL WHEN METAL HAPPENS ON THINGS? I would like to see that make a comeback. Pig Destroyer could do a guest spot on Modern Family or something. Megadeth's "99 Ways to Die" was a 5th grade recess favorite. i remember the video had a shirtless kid holding a gun or something. trying to get some of that "Jeremy" mojo, eh Mustaine?

Favorite Tracks: Nirvana – “I Hate Myself and I Want to Die”, “Come to Butthead”, White Zombie – “I Am Hell”, Primus – “Poetry and Prose”

No comments:

Post a Comment