Saturday, April 20, 2013

Cut Out Bin Conscious ch. 19: Extended Record Store Day edition

ch.1
ch. 2
ch.3
ch. 4 
ch. 5 
ch.12 



NAPALM DEATH / COALESCE – In Tongues we Speak

Don’t know why I always put off picking this up. I love ND, love Coalesce… murp. So I drove up to Looney Tunes for Record Store Day and there was a fucking line to get in to the place. Fucking amateur hour. Luckily it was less crazy @ High Fidelity records. Saw some decent Birthday Party vinyl, but it was a bit pricey for something I probably wouldn’t even play for fear of damaging it. anyway, this is the weird mid-90s period ND sound that’s good only some of the time. Also it’s one of those splits where tracks alternate between the bands. It works here cause the bands sound so different. This is a short one.

Favorite tracks: Napalm Death – “Food Chains”, Coalesce – “Harvest of Maturity”


ARSIS – a Diamond for Disease

I’m not really a huge fan of this band, but I dig this record cause the dude wrote it after his fiancé broke off their engagement, and I’m a sucker for well-written jilted-lover tunes. The title track is this tremendous tech-death tirade that’s bitter without being misogynistic. Last summer I basically wrote enough lyrics for a double album that are coming from a similar headspace. For the last 15 years especially, Women have been and continue to be perhaps my greatest source of fascination and frustration. But you don’t wanna hear about that. Another reason I like this album is that it’s only 3 songs long. It’s also pretty heavy, which a lot of tech-bands lose in the race to out-complicate each other. And it’s on Willowtip, and by now you know the pussy boner I have for that label. I was reading some article about how mehulehds are prone to depression. There’s a crack in the floor from where it got hit by my jaw. Most mehulehds are the whiniest whiners that ever whined. They act all hard and scary whenever you bring up deer-in-a-pen targets like Justin Bieber, but show them some footage of GG Allin eating his feces and they turn into sniveling little bitch boys. Total Proto-Bronies. There’s also an Alice Cooper cover on here. “Roses on White Lace”. That’s pretty sweet. “the Promise of Never”. Awwwwwwww. Did shomebody get der feewingsh huuurwt? I know I did. OHHHH.

Favorite Tracks: “a Diamond for Disease”, “The Promise of Never”.



DANZIG – Thrall/Demonsweatlive

HuhAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!. I’m pretty sure I had a copy of this once, but it’s long gone, so I picked up to fill the hole in my Danzig collection. I have the DVD that has like four versions of the video for “IsCuhminDOW”, each with varying degrees of genital mutilation. Such a cool track. One of my favorites from him. “AHL ON FAR IN THE NEIGH O GLOR”.  I love this period of the Danzig band (93 – 96). Morose comic book S&M goodness. Probably the last time he sounded truly inspired. And yes, I’m even talking about the much maligned Blackacidevil, but more on that in a minute. “the Violet Fire” is pretty mighty, too. I do sort of still find the little fella charming in a way. he’s basically been a moody teenager trapped in a stout, musclebound body for his adulthood. Sort of like a living He-Man action figure. I love that he publishes these goofy comic books filled with tits and demons and murder and foul language, trying so hard to be edgy and “adult” that they become almost adorable. I love that he thinks werewolves are real because he read about them in a book once. I love that he won’t own up to be a white supremacist or separatist. I love that he pretends to be a martial artist. I LOVE the Twin Peaks steel guitars on this version of “Sistinas”.  Oh, and fuck that twat muffin from North Side Kings for milking the whole “I Punched Danzig” thing. Wow, you threw a sloppy punch at a 50 year old man and knocked him down for a second. oh, and you wrote a book about it? you know what Danzig wrote? “Hybrid Moments”. You lose.

Favorite Tracks: “It’s Coming Down”, “Snakes of Christ”, “Am I Demon”, “Sistinas”



DANZIG – Blackacidevil

And here’s the one we all decided to hate. Lately though, I’ve come around to it. maybe my increased appreciation of industrial and electronic music has something to do with that. Maybe it’s because I just like the vibe of this album. He basically wrote his version of a 1990s rivet head sort of album. The lyrics are also some of his darkest… pretty sure most of these songs are about rape and bondage. Most of the stuff on Danzig 4 was about that, too… but your average “rock” fan isn’t picking up on that, cause all they wanna do Is bang their head and yell to the chorus. I respect Danzig for going against his perceived “type” and reconnecting with the spirit of the post-Misfits project Samhain (still my favorite stuff from him). Where Misfits was a jolly b-movie, Samhain was ritualistically bleak . Where Danzig 1-4 were power rock crowd pleasers hinting at something darker, Blackacidevil was a sinisterly confrontational audience hater that makes the listener work for his enjoyment. Keeping in step with the persistent lyrical themes of sadomasochism and eroticized confinement, the music puts you through the paces, forcing you to listen through the shock to find the heart of it all. Even the groups of the time that this record was lumped in with (Ministry, NIN, White Zombie, and their countless clownshoe copycats) either only whisper at such an experience or remain ignorant to such an experience, falling back on MTV friendly sound bites. don't expect anyone to agree with me on this one, but that's alright. I still have a t-shirt of this album, but it is HUGE. It says XL, but really it’s an XXXL. The sleeves go past my elbows. it’s definitely the kind of shirt you’d want your petite one-night stand to wear in the morning. I have a thing for tiny girls with bedhead wearing nothing but giant shirts.

Favorite Tracks: “7th House”, “See All You Were”, “Hint of her Blood”, “Come to Silver’,

No comments:

Post a Comment